Sunday 5 July 2009

A new radio for the Tanarg

Microlights have normally used hand held radios such as the Icom A3 or A20. Icom no longer make these models and they have been superseded but the A6 and A24. The problem is that the new models are not authorised for aviation use in Europe. There is a version of the new models that are legal for use in France and are known as the A6FR and A24FR, but they are very expensive compared to the none FR radios.
For almost the same amount of money I have bought a Microair M760 radio, which is a panel mount. This will be fitted to interface with the Flycom Focus dashboard. The reason for doing it this way is to retain the intercom system in the Focus rather than using that of the radio, and so I will still get audio warning for oil pressure etc.
The beauty of the M760 is that it weighs around 500 grams but seems a very well built radio.
The downside is that there seems to be little support for the Flycom Focus dash and I will have to work out the wiring for myself.
I will update when I have the system working.
If anyone out there has any information of the workings and set up of the Flycom Focus, I would be forever in your debt if you can share that knowledge.

1 comment:

Progressive said...

Hello,
I have the flycom focus and am actually switching to the Enigma in my Tanarg. I can give you all the details for it if you'd like.
I was wondering if in your searches, you have come across a general wiring diagram for the Tanarg (i.e., a basic wiring schematic for the whole trike).
Thank you very much for all you've done on this blog.

David 0
Please contact me through trikepilot.com email there.